Thursday, July 28, 2005

Rant Number Two: Sneering

So this last Saturday, while I was waiting patiently for Delta Airlines to "misplace" my baggage during my layover in Salt Lake City (Mormons, represent!), I decided to snag a delicious Cinnabon. There I was, trying hard to remember whether or not there was a sales tax in Utah - or airports for that matter - when I saw it. The look. Two otherwise attractive girls (maybe women. I didn't get a good look at their I.D.'s) walked past the Cinnabon queue (That's right, I said queue instead of line. What!?) with the most grotesque facial expression I've seen since we informed Graham that his "french fries" were in fact fried squid legs. I've since decided to name their look the "Half 'Tarded Sneer," or HTS for short.

www.dictionary.com defines a sneer as "A scornful facial expression characterized by a slight raising of one corner of the upper lip." The look I'm describing is more dramatic than this, however. The HTS does involve a raising of one side of the mouth, but it also involves a heavy slackening of the jaw, leading to an open mouth. It gave me the impression that perhaps the airport girls had split a botox treatment between them, each having one half of their face juiced.

Now, I wouldn't have thought much of this except that I've noticed it on a few seperate occasions in the short time since then - a moderately to highly attractive female with the I'm disgusted-with-the-world sneer distorting her face. Blondes appear to be at higher risk for HTS abuse, from my experiences thus far. Abstent-minded activities (such as driving) may also pressure you into HTS use. I truly hope this is not a growing trend and that I've merely been unlucky over the past half-week. Women (and men as well, I suppose), please refrain from using the Half 'Tarded Sneer in the future. Check the mirror every morning and if you find HTS on your face, do what you can to get rid of it or see a doctor. HTS use is not "cool," nor does it make you seem "sophisticated." Stop it, people. Just say no!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex...kudos to this awesome rant! It's very Seinfeld-esque.

Anonymous said...

I'm amused. I will attempt to avoid the HTS in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "luck" on all my "action" next year. ;) Personally, I think I'm just going to die.

And the HTS... ah yes, the HTS. High school, summed up in three letters.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex! Miss me mucho? Haha. I used to be a frequent HTS-er. But now I'm not. So I hope you still like me! Ooook, talk to you later!

P.S. You forgot to mention the ugly frowning eyebrows and the girls looking at each other to confirm one another's disgust of the situation. Puh, I'm such a pro! ;)

Anonymous said...

So I had my tonsils pulled out. No bleeding. Just lots of applesauce and hydrocodine, or "Lortab" as they like to call it.

School starts in five days. Maybe I'll be off the drugs by then.

Until that point, I am very, very blissfully hungry and drugged out of my little mind.

Hope things are going well for you -- it's been a while.

I dropped one AP class --- that came into my head after looking at one of my other comments. That lowers the count to four AP classes, and I'll really only be taking four during second semester, since econ isn't a year long class. I'm taking painting/watercoloring instead of that other AP class. Maybe I'll remember to take pictures and post them.

Right. Drugs. It's time for more drugs. And sleep.

And if you want sleeping music, download "La Bele Marie" by a group called Anonymous 4 -- particularly listen to track 8 and 9, titled, "Ave Maria Gracia Plena" and "Perotin-Beata Viscera". I dig good vocals; choir nerd, through and through.

Anyway. Random. Long comment. Drugged up. Voice is already higher pitched than it has been for the last five months. Improvement.

Dear God, more drugs.