Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Poetry Corner: The Chase

Well well, well, it seems that Red doesn't much enjoy poetry. It also seems that I have several more poems to post. Coincidence? I think not. Anyway, this is, i think, more reflective of my poetic style. I hope you guys like it.

The Chase

Our love is an excruciating cartoon,
The mysterious dance of the coyote
and the roadrunner, high speed pursuits
halted repeatedly by a descending piano
or anvil from the sky. The open plains
and high plateaus are your playground.
I bow to you, blue king of the American
Desert Roads. You have no equal here.
Why, then, do I persist? Why do I?

Your sinuous body, a runner’s physique,
cannot possible contain enough calories
to justify my inexorable efforts.
True, it would require much less energy
To saw off my own limb with a hacksaw,
consume it, and grow a fresh one
than to continue my hunt. But it is quality,
not quantity, I desire. Your azure feathers
contain the most tender of meats. A delicacy.

In a secluded ravine, I light the fuse
on my brand new red ACME rocket.
You sprint by, sapphire streaks
against sunburned sands and pale cacti.
Will I capture you? “Meep, meep!”
The canyon walls whisper impossibilities.

4 comments:

boabhan sith said...

"Meep meep!"

lol

I LOVED it!

Anonymous said...

This is brilliant. :D

Anonymous said...

fUCK YOU, YOU FUCKING FUCK

Anonymous said...

Yeah, no problem... ;) Thanks for the forgiveness. ;)